Sunday, February 5, 2012

Unit 8 Two Practices/Exercises Beneficial to Incorporate in my Daily Routine

The two exercises/practices I chose to use in my routine are yoga meditations and visualization.  I like to incorporate prayerful meditations, while exercising to develop mind, body and spirit, simultaneously.  During yoga while in the baby pose - I curl up with knees tucked under the tummy, and arms tucked into the sides as the forehead rests on the carpet.  Meditation is initiated for the length of 15 - 20 minutes, while holding the pose breathing normally.  I meditate on the life of Christ.  I see in minds eye, how he gave his lunch to those in need, He turned away from those reviling Him, He obeyed His parents, He shared God's Word with others.  I meditate on His character, prayer life, how He prayed for the unity among believers within their diverse personalities.  Even while hanging on the cross bearing our sins, He prayed for the Father to "forgive them for they know not what they have done."  Of course, their are other exercises to meditate with as well.  I will incorporate some form of meditation yoga two to three times weekly for at least 15 - 20 minutes each time.

I pray for the "rhema" Word, His Word out loud, so that His promises become my own, and I can practice the truths presented.  I can forgive, because He forgave me.  I can help others in need as He did.  I experience the promises of the Word, when I speak them aloud.  This practice I like to perform while in the yoga stances utilizing meditation.  Then the Bible becomes a part of my experience.

With visualization I can use the Journey On CD or close my eyes an visualize a comforting scene.  One scene I like to visualize was an experience I encountered with butterflies.  I was walking with my mom and children, when a butterfly lighted on my shoulder.  Most know of my delight in butterflies!  The first time I experienced this my excitement caused the butterfly to fly away.  The next time the butterfly landed on my shoulder, I was able to contain myself as I talked to it and enjoyed its company immensely.  The last instance relieves the activity of my mind with peace and calmness creating wellness.  For strength of mind I will practice some form of visualization everyday; any time of day; morning, noon or night.

Other scenes I enjoy visualizing are the waterfall with the sights and sounds of rushing waters over rocks splashing into the pool below, and rainbows arching it's gorgeous colors across the sunlit sky against the dark clouds after the rain.  This is a promise that God will never send a flood over the entire earth again.  This ever reminds us that His promises are sure.  These are a few of my favorite things that help create integral health through a peaceful, quiet, healthy mind - mental fitness!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Teresa: I found visualization very helpful, especially focusing on things that make me happy and feel positive. I get in a rut with day to day activities and kind of zone out instead of living each day with mindfulness.

    I also love nature, flowers,birds etc. We feel so connected to all things when we can just appreciate the beauty they offer us.

    I use some meditation and deep breathing mostly at night when I am trying to relax and still my mind so I can sleep. I am thinking of trying to ask questions before I sleep to see if I will arrive at answers in my sleep or in dreams.

    HOpefully we can still blog with classmates after term. This has been great to connect with others and get to know them better through their blogs and discussions. Take Care, Teri C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri,

      If we write down the blog links we will be able to continue to write to each other in the blogs or through google reader. This has been a great experience! Let us keep in touch!

      Delete
  2. Hi Teri,

    I have enjoyed the interaction with classmates too! It has been great to learn about each other and share experiences! I would love to keep in touch with classmates after the class is finished! Hope to stay connected through blog comments! Best Wishes in all your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa, like you I also chose meditation and visualization. I love yoga but I haven't been practicing as often as I used to. I would like to practice the exercise as least once or twice a week. Anyhow, I do practice meditation every day now and I am beginning to see some real changes taking place. I love to listen to visualization audios to walk me through because I find it hard to take myself somewhere without my own thoughts distracting me. I also love to hear and be around water. Pools, rivers, brooks, water falls, the ocean, rain; it doesn't really matter I just love to hear the sounds of water. You really should check out the link I posted in our seminar this week. It's a good one and it's without any music. PS: I would love to stay in touch as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawn,

      It is great that you are growing through mediation! This turning point is taking us to new places we have not experienced before!

      The sounds of water are very refreshing and relaxing! I even enjoy the torrents of water pouring from the skies during with its lightening show during a storm!

      Yes, let's definitely stay in touch! Best wishes in all you do!

      Are you on face book? I will write you from our email and put you in my contacts! That will be a good way to stay in contact! Also, we can continue to blog back and forth if we write down the blog sites! It was great having class with you!

      Delete
  4. Hi Teresa,

    I really enjoy reading your blogs and this one is no exeption. I really like your visualizations as they are things that I like to visualize as well. We share the love of Christ which is very improtant as we can find no better person to pattern our lives after. I also like waterfalls and butterflies, I have also had a similar experience with butterflies and it was truely remarkable.
    "Rhema" is a new term for me, I am not sure that I understand this word. Can you give me a definition? as I could not find it in the dictionary.

    Sincerely,
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita,

    The "Rhema" term that I used is a Greek word found in the Bible concordance/dictionary. This means experiencing the Word for ourselves, instead of "Logos", which means the written Word for learning and knowledge. Try reading the Word out loud and applying that verse for you and your situation! This is "Rhema"! One text I like to apply experiecially is - "Thou wilt keep me in perfect peace, when my mind is stayed on You, because I trust in You...!" Isaiah 26:3-4. Can you see how I made it my own? This is effective bible learning for integral health and mind clearing!

    ReplyDelete